I guess I am on a bit of a food kick lately and wanted to talk about one of the hardest aspects of eating well: the dreaded restaurant.
OK, I know I’m being a bit dramatic. We have good intentions, but then have half a loaf of bread, an appetizer, and by that point may as well have a big dessert. I used to work in an office where we had business lunches and dinners constantly…bringing my own food wasn’t an option. Luckily, a little planning ahead will go a long way to avoid a 3000 calorie meal and avoid packing on pounds when meals out pile onto each other.
Even if you just like to go out, make a list of restaurants where you can eat healthy. Look at the menu online and know exactly what you’ll order when you go. The more choices you have, the better, but have at least 5 restaurant choices. Some of mine:
- Chipotle – Naked Burrito, no rice, extra lettuce
- Pappoulle’s Greek – Greek Salad with Chicken
- Theresa’s Mosaic – Carne Verde and side salad
- Texas Roadhouse (Steakhouse) – 6 oz sirloin, steamed veggies, and house salad no croutons w/ dressing on side
- Chick-fil-a- Chargrilled and Fruit Salad
- Harvest – Seared Ahi Tuna Salad
- Lupitas – Scambled Eggs and Carne Seca, no tortillas
- Chuy’s Mesquite Grill – Tri-tip and salad, dressing on side
No need to look at the menu, in fact, it’s better if you don’t. Don’t dangle the temptation of something else if you’re trying to eat well.
Are these meals exactly balances the way I would eat them at home? Probably not for most of them! But, they will fill me up, taste good, and I don’t have to feel bad about it.
Hope this helps save a few calories! Have a good week and let me know if there are some yummy healthy eats out I should be include