Don’t be that guy–Runner Faux Pas to Avoid
Every now and then, you’ll see as a runner, there are some things you just shouldn’t do…so, please – Don’t be that guy!
- Extra Short Shorts: these rank right up there with knee socks, but there is no reason for them. It isn’t the 70s (and let’s not let them come back) and they won’t make you run any faster or even improve aerodynamics.
- The Shirtless Runner in Cool Weather: It’s 55 degrees, dry and perfect running weather and there’s some dude running without a shirt. A quick poll of the female runners in the area tells me that men should “never run shirtless” and that “most have no self awareness that they should never take their shirt off in public.” I’m not that critical but at least wait until it’s hot out to justify it.
- Wearing the event shirt during the event: Even though you get this the day before at packet pickup, many people consider this a “finisher” shirt. Not a big deal to me, but many runners will label you a newb.
- Ultra-Accessory guy: I’m terribly guilty of this one, an oversized GPS watch, water belt/camelback, MP3 player and headphones, and cell phone. When you fully gear up for that long run, you’re that guy. On the plus side, it’s getting easier to combine devices (cell phone is also a MP3 player) and GPS watches are getting smaller.
- The litterbug: Probably my biggest pet peeve, I’ve been in plenty of small races that you see an empty Gu packet at mile 5…Being far away from an aid station or any volunteers, this will likely never be picked up. Please, just hang on to it until the next aid station – it’s not that hard and they’ll have trash bags there!
What about you? Any pet peeves or faux pas that drive you nuts?
Powered by Facebook Comments